Monday, November 26, 2007

para MAS

Hi guys,
I write this post in my first real moment of repose since getting here. My days thus far have been a whirling dervish like movement filled with words rapidly spoken that I half understand, places, people and games that I half remember, and the reality of my transcontinental move that has only half sunken in.

I represented you all today (in beautiful La Gringita appearance) in my walk through the streets of Cochabamba. It was fun to retrace my study abroad steps. I nonchalantly waltzed into the office to surprise and warmly greet Heidi and Patti directors of my program. Both my old friends and the city seem well --happy in their place and always anticipating the constantly changing horizon.

Heidi, the only non-Bolivian of the program seemed a bit pre-occupied with the state of the State here. Seeing that this is pretty much exactly as I left her, I wasn´t too surprised. Just so you know, yes the balancing act that is Bolivian politics and economy seems to be teetering towards unrest once again. The issue seems the same as I left it more than a year ago. In 2006 Evo Morales, the first Indigenous president of Bolivia was triumphantly elected. He promised to represent change for the good (for the many versus the few) and set the steps in motion for a new Constituente Asymblea, an assembly of el pueblo to rewrite Bolivia´s constitution. The struggle since is over representation.

Ironically in the time that I left Bolivia, all has been relatively calm. Said very simply, in conjunction with the Constituente in full swing, tension is rising. The easiest fight to explain is between the richest region of Santa Cruz (the area where I will be living) and the rest of the country. The rich region with their gold silver and natural gas wish to not be brought down by what they deem to be the rest of Bolivia´s not very profitable, not too presentable and not so civilized self. The capitalists of Brazil, Venzeula, the USA, all have interest in this region. Again in lamens term individualized interests and and monetary success vs. equality, anti-racism and the betterment of common good. Anyways “en Bolivia todo es protesta.” Bolivians, from every sector, never fear mobilizing in hope to change the future history of their tortured country. My meager explanation is better summed up in political action in pretty much every city when the pressure is at its most. In the past view days most of the protest have been centered in Sucre and right now in Santa Cruz people are really into the burning of Venezuela and Cuba´s flag. The news channels announced today there will be national Paro Civico on Wed. This happens a lot, not always nationally though (and again ironically will be first in a whole year´s time). Basically all commerce in the country shuts down and whoever is guiding the strike makes sure their demands are heard. It´s an interesting state to be in and for the most part, in situations like this there is never any telling of what will or will not happen next. I would assume that foreigners are not in any more danger than anyone else, and as we all know if this changes, the US Govt will be quick to pronounce it. Also all of these comments refer to the general situation here. What is happening at this exact moment is not momentous.

With that said, in daily life of work and play all passes as normal. I walked through the Plaza today and stumbled upon a small mobilization of the elders of the working class. As some of you know I studied for a month and produced a film about such political expression in the Plaza Mayor. Looking out on these protesters faces… many quite experienced and weathered in age and in life.. I was once again reminded of what mobilization means here in Bolivia. Where as standing up for ones rights has become a euphemism in the States, it is still very much a physical action here. I know that in the States we often sacrifice stability for nothing. For sure, constant unrest in Bolivia has never met its happy balance. However, it has taught me that faith in at least feeling part of direct representation is powerful, effective or not.

Oh yes, the curious have asked of my flora and fauna. Of course I´m new, but thus far they seem quite pleased. I just knocked on wood. My host family in fact is quite pleased to me having returned “bien formada”. I left them in a not so hott skeleton state (due to amoebas that are now gone). Now ´m prepared and came with reserve, just in caseJ. Anyways do not fret, my body right now is the most strong and formed part about me. And soon off to a clinic I go, so por favor no pasa nada.Love. Please direct me with questions when you have them. Feedback the blog so it can better feed u.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Ms. Trotta,

I look forward to reading about your life's adventure over the next year, and learning about a part of the world that I do not know well. It seems as though it is a place you can call home, which is all I could hope for you. St. Paul misses you...yayuh.

Oh, and if those amoebas try and get you again, I'll kick their ass.

Megan